Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by Recipes From The Heart Of Your Home. Don't forget to check out the Christian resources we have linked to on the left of the page. I am a Christian wife and mother, doing my best to take care of my family and be a good steward of the wonderful blessings God has given us. I enjoy cooking for my family and doing it unto God for His glory. I love to cook from scratch when it's affordable and not too time-consuming and I especially love to bake. Lots of family and friends ask for my recipes so I've decided to put them on a blog so they can get them or anyone else who wants them. I think you can make good quality, good tasting food at a fraction of the ready-made price and it doesn't have to break your budget. Please let me know how these recipes turn out. They're our family's favorites. I'll be updating this blog as often as I can. Enjoy and God bless!

Melissa

If you like my blog, subscribe on the left side of the page so you get automatic updates via email. Please check out our other website: A-typical Christianity is a blog by my husband and I on the Christian faith, current events, apologetics, and more at http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com/ .

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Power Bars

These power bars are nothing like you get from the health food aisle. These are moist and full of flavor. They have lots of protein and give you energy to get you going in the morning. You wouldn't think the pinto beans would taste good in these, but you really can't taste them at all and they add protein and fiber without a nasty taste like those store-bought bars. These can be a little pricey to make, but I guarantee they're way cheaper and better tasting than the store-bought kind. I will post a picture next time I make them.

Power Bars

1 2/3 cup crushed granola cereal (I like Cascadian Farms Oat N' Honey best.)
1 cup chopped dried dates
1 cup flaked coconut
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 15 oz. can pinto beans, rinsed well, and mashed well
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup honey
3 tbs. butter, melted
2 tbs. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt

1) Line a 13 X 9 in. baking pan with foil. Lightly coat foil with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.

2) Combine cereal, dates, coconut, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in beans, raisins and nuts. Combine honey, butter, oil, vanilla and salt in a small bowl. Add to cereal mixture; stir until well combined. Press mixture evenly into prepared pan using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.

3) Bake in a preheated oven about 35 minutes or until set and dry. Cool completely; use foil to lift out of pan. Cut into bars. (Mine were really moist and didn't really cut into bars well, but the flavor was excellent!)

Are you a good person?

http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com
http://titus2wifeandmommy.blogspot.com

No comments: