Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by Recipes From The Heart Of Your Home. Don't forget to check out the Christian resources we have linked to on the left of the page. I am a Christian wife and mother, doing my best to take care of my family and be a good steward of the wonderful blessings God has given us. I enjoy cooking for my family and doing it unto God for His glory. I love to cook from scratch when it's affordable and not too time-consuming and I especially love to bake. Lots of family and friends ask for my recipes so I've decided to put them on a blog so they can get them or anyone else who wants them. I think you can make good quality, good tasting food at a fraction of the ready-made price and it doesn't have to break your budget. Please let me know how these recipes turn out. They're our family's favorites. I'll be updating this blog as often as I can. Enjoy and God bless!

Melissa

If you like my blog, subscribe on the left side of the page so you get automatic updates via email. Please check out our other website: A-typical Christianity is a blog by my husband and I on the Christian faith, current events, apologetics, and more at http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com/ .

Friday, July 11, 2008

Out Of This World Spare Ribs

These ribs are by far the best ribs I've ever eaten. I'm not a big fan of meat, but these are the best! The sweet homemade barbecue sauce is what makes it so good. It was originally supposed to be done on the grill, but I don't have one so I modified it to be cooked in the oven. Ribs aren't cheap, but I only buy them when they go on sale and then it's a special treat for us. So much better and cheaper than going to the restaurant.

Out Of This World Spare Ribs

2 slabs pork spare ribs (I use 1 roughly 3 1/2 lb. rack)
2 tbs. chili powder (I don't use nearly as much because I think it's too spicy)
coarse salt and ground pepper

Homemade Barbecue sauce
1 tbs. butter
1/2 small onion, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced

1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tbs. worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tbs. molasses
1 tbs. yellow (or spicy) mustard

1) Preheat oven to 400 deg. F. Season ribs with chili powder, salt, and pepper. Put ribs on a double layer of aluminum foil; wrap tightly. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Cook meat 1 1/2 hours.

2) Meanwhile, make barbecue sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add remaining sauce ingredients and stir well. Bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thick, about 5 minutes. Set aside.

3) When ribs are done cooking from step 1, carefully remove the ribs from the foil, pouring off any accumulated liquid. Pour on all the sauce, (yes, it's a lot, but it will reduce) and spread it on both sides of the ribs. Cook in 400 deg. F. oven for 30 minutes, and every 10 minutes, baste it with sauce on baking sheet. Flip ribs over each time so the sauce cooks well on both sides. You can cook it longer if you want for the sauce to reduce even further. Or, if you don't like so much sauce cooked on it, you can reserve some for dipping instead.

Are you a good person?

http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com
http://titus2wifeandmommy.blogspot.com

No comments: