Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by Recipes From The Heart Of Your Home. Don't forget to check out the Christian resources we have linked to on the left of the page. I am a Christian wife and mother, doing my best to take care of my family and be a good steward of the wonderful blessings God has given us. I enjoy cooking for my family and doing it unto God for His glory. I love to cook from scratch when it's affordable and not too time-consuming and I especially love to bake. Lots of family and friends ask for my recipes so I've decided to put them on a blog so they can get them or anyone else who wants them. I think you can make good quality, good tasting food at a fraction of the ready-made price and it doesn't have to break your budget. Please let me know how these recipes turn out. They're our family's favorites. I'll be updating this blog as often as I can. Enjoy and God bless!

Melissa

If you like my blog, subscribe on the left side of the page so you get automatic updates via email. Please check out our other website: A-typical Christianity is a blog by my husband and I on the Christian faith, current events, apologetics, and more at http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com/ .

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Baked Oatmeal




This is a picture of the version with the dried cranberries, coconut, raisins, and almonds added.

This recipe makes such a yummy, wholesome breakfast. After eating this, I can never eat the mushy instant oatmeal again. I love to top this with syrup and to make it healthier and heartier, I will mix in dried fruits and nuts. My husband likes to top this with milk. Either way you go, it's delicious and very economical! I like to double this recipe and stock it in the freezer in individual serving-size containers. Just pop in the microwave and you've got a fast breakfast. I actually like to eat mine cold from the fridge.

Baked Oatmeal

3 cups quick oatmeal
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
(Mix first.)

To make it healthier, I like to also add:
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup coconut
1/4 cup sliced almonds

Mix all ingredients together and put in a greased 8 X 8 square pan. Bake at 350 deg. F. for 30 minutes. Let cool, and cut into squares (mine fall apart, but still taste good) and serve with syrup if desired.

To double recipe, cook in 13 X 9 pan and bake for approx. 40 minutes.

Are you a good person?

http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com
http://titus2wifeandmommy.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Hey, I've been going through your recipies. THanks for posting pictures. I just tried the oatmeal. I took out the white sugar and did 1/2 cup fresh honey and 1/4 cup oil. YUMMO! Oh, and i added extra cinammin!

The Beshores said...

Your welcome for posting the pics with the recipes. For me, I can usually tell whether I'll like a recipe or not by what it looks like and I always hate it when there isn't a picture with one.

I love the baked oatmeal and it's so economical and we make it all the time in quadruple batches and store it in the freezer. Lately I have been doing less fruit and nuts to make it cheaper or only using raisins, etc. The honey sounds like a good idea. I actually do 1/2 to 3/4 of the sugar now because I like to add syrup to it and it can be a bit sweet. I don't mind the sweetness, but I know it isn't too healthy that way.

I also like to do half and half quick cooking oats and regular oats. This gives some nice chewy bits of oats and I think it's much tastier that way. Hopefully if I have time I can post more recipes. For now I'm too busy. Thanks for stopping by!