Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by Recipes From The Heart Of Your Home. Don't forget to check out the Christian resources we have linked to on the left of the page. I am a Christian wife and mother, doing my best to take care of my family and be a good steward of the wonderful blessings God has given us. I enjoy cooking for my family and doing it unto God for His glory. I love to cook from scratch when it's affordable and not too time-consuming and I especially love to bake. Lots of family and friends ask for my recipes so I've decided to put them on a blog so they can get them or anyone else who wants them. I think you can make good quality, good tasting food at a fraction of the ready-made price and it doesn't have to break your budget. Please let me know how these recipes turn out. They're our family's favorites. I'll be updating this blog as often as I can. Enjoy and God bless!

Melissa

If you like my blog, subscribe on the left side of the page so you get automatic updates via email. Please check out our other website: A-typical Christianity is a blog by my husband and I on the Christian faith, current events, apologetics, and more at http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com/ .

Monday, July 14, 2008

Falafels



Falafels are a Middle-Eastern dish. I hate chickpeas, but I love this recipe. These falafels are so yummy and moist and there's no need to buy the yucky, expensive box-mix stuff. I just made these last night and my kids gobbled them up. I made a triple batch and stuck the leftovers in the freezer for a quick meal. I will say that they didn't look anything like the picture. I have no idea how they got them to stay in such a nice patty shape. Mine were not uniform in shape, but it didn't matter. The taste was so delicious. You're supposed to serve this with a yogurt sauce, but we didn't like the recipe. We just dip it in homemade ranch dressing or my homemade French or Russian dressing. I posted the dressing recipes as well. You can also serve them in pita breads like in the picture.

Falafels

1 cup dried chickpeas
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup fresh curly parsley, stems removed, tightly packed (I used dried parsley and just eye-balled how much I put in.)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Vegetable oil for frying


Yogurt Dipping Sauce: (Like I said, I didn't like this sauce, but you might.)
6-ounce container of plain yogurt
3 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh curly parsley (could use dried, but use less)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Rinse the chickpeas, then soak them in a medium-size bowl in several inches of water overnight in the refrigerator. (we've found the patties won't hold together as well if you use canned chickpeas.)

2. To make the sauce, whisk together the yogurt and water in a small bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined. Makes 1 cup.

3. Drain the soaked chickpeas and place them in a food processor. Add all the remaining ingredients and blend, scraping the sides if necessary, until the mixture is creamy, about 1 minute total.

4. Heat an inch of oil in a large, heavy frying pan to 375 degrees (a spoonful of the mixture should sizzle as soon as it's immersed). Scoop up a heaping dinner tablespoon of the falafel mixture and gently place it in the heated oil. Place 4 or 5 more spoonfuls in the pan. Fry the patties until they're thoroughly brown on one side, about 2 to 3 minutes, then flip them to brown the other side.

5. Drain the patties on a plate covered with a paper towel and sprinkle with additional salt, if desired. Serve with yogurt dipping sauce. Makes 16 to 20 patties.

Are you a good person?

http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com
http://titus2wifeandmommy.blogspot.com

No comments: