Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by Recipes From The Heart Of Your Home. Don't forget to check out the Christian resources we have linked to on the left of the page. I am a Christian wife and mother, doing my best to take care of my family and be a good steward of the wonderful blessings God has given us. I enjoy cooking for my family and doing it unto God for His glory. I love to cook from scratch when it's affordable and not too time-consuming and I especially love to bake. Lots of family and friends ask for my recipes so I've decided to put them on a blog so they can get them or anyone else who wants them. I think you can make good quality, good tasting food at a fraction of the ready-made price and it doesn't have to break your budget. Please let me know how these recipes turn out. They're our family's favorites. I'll be updating this blog as often as I can. Enjoy and God bless!

Melissa

If you like my blog, subscribe on the left side of the page so you get automatic updates via email. Please check out our other website: A-typical Christianity is a blog by my husband and I on the Christian faith, current events, apologetics, and more at http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com/ .

Friday, July 11, 2008

Popsicles - Cheap summer treat



As a kid our family didn't always have a lot of money and my mom used to make some really good cheap food. One of my favorite things was Kool-Aid popsicles. They were always so good and refreshing when we lived in Florida because it always got so hot. What's better than a cold popsicle on a hot summer's day? I just recently began making them for my kids and us and they are definitely better than those expensive brands at the store and you can make an endless variety of flavors. It cost me 20 cents or less I think to make maybe 18 popsicles I think. Of course it depends on the size of your popsicle mold and the brand of soft drink mix you buy. Here's the recipe. Hope you like it!

Kool-Aid Popsicles

1 unsweetened Koolaid or other brand soft drink packet (.14 oz.)
1 cup of sugar
1 quart of water, or more if it's too sweet for you

Mix all ingredients well in a pourable pitcher. Pour into molds, insert popsicle sticks, and freeze thoroughly. Run mold under warm water and twist and pull until popsicle comes out of mold. Enjoy! To save time, unmold all your popsicles at once and keep in large ziploc freezer bag so they're ready to go.

Try mixing and matching flavors and see what kind of popsicles your kids like best.

Pudding Popsicles

You can also make cheap, delicious pudding pops that are better than store-bought and very cheap to make. Just make up a box of instant pudding and pour into the popsicle molds and freeze. You can also mix in chocolate chips, shredded coconut, or nuts. You can also do two different flavors and layer them and make a vanilla-chocolate pudding pop for example.

Fruit Popsicles

A great way to make delicious fruit popsicles that are very similar and in my opinion better than Edy's Whole Fruit popsicles for example is to make them from frozen fruit at home. You could take slightly thawed (so it can be easily blended in a blender) frozen mixed berries, sugar to taste (if at all) and enough water to blend it. Blend in blender until thoroughly blended. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze and voila, delicious fruit popsicles at a fraction of the cost.

Yogurt Popsicles

A healthier alternative is to take yogurt and freeze them into pops too. A really yummy popsicle is to fill your popsicle mold 3/4 of the way with yogurt and top the rest with the fruit puree from the fruit popsicle recipe. Swirl it with your popsicle stick and freeze. So yummy!! You can also make a yogurt pop topped or swirled with granola and chopped bananas for a yummy breakfast treat. The options are endless!

When I make yogurt pops, I use a 32 oz. container of strawberry yogurt and 2 chopped up bananas. This makes 16 popsicles, the size you see above.

Here's a website that sells popsicle molds similar to what I had as a kid. You can do a search on google for "popsicle mold" and find lots of others too. This site sells them cheaper than what I paid for mine. http://www.crafthobbywholesale.com/default.aspx/General/FreezeItems/


Cheap popsicle molds can be hard to find. There are fancier molds but they can be rather pricey. These have those flimsy plastic popsicle sticks like mine did. I had to throw my sticks out because they just snapped too easily. When I was a kid we bought wooden craft sticks (popsicle sticks). I bought a box of 1000 for like $3.50 at Walmart about a month ago. It's cheap and you don't have to worry about them breaking or having to wash them. Plus you can make a ton of crafts out of them too. I used to make houses and all sorts of stuff out of popsicle sticks when I was younger. Let me know how you like them.


Popsicle/Craft sticks

Are you a good person?

http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com
http://titus2wifeandmommy.blogspot.com

1 comment:

Latte said...

Yeah I am kinda new at this...my homeschool blog is older-you can get to it from my blog homepage. I decided to blog over here on blogger as well to share with the whole world not just homeschool momma's my life with God and Family. Thanks for such a great blog(s) to read!

Latte
thornfaith@yahoo.com see if that works?

P.S. I put a check mark on this post that you can do follow up blogs to me at my other e-mail...can you see it?