Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by Recipes From The Heart Of Your Home. Don't forget to check out the Christian resources we have linked to on the left of the page. I am a Christian wife and mother, doing my best to take care of my family and be a good steward of the wonderful blessings God has given us. I enjoy cooking for my family and doing it unto God for His glory. I love to cook from scratch when it's affordable and not too time-consuming and I especially love to bake. Lots of family and friends ask for my recipes so I've decided to put them on a blog so they can get them or anyone else who wants them. I think you can make good quality, good tasting food at a fraction of the ready-made price and it doesn't have to break your budget. Please let me know how these recipes turn out. They're our family's favorites. I'll be updating this blog as often as I can. Enjoy and God bless!

Melissa

If you like my blog, subscribe on the left side of the page so you get automatic updates via email. Please check out our other website: A-typical Christianity is a blog by my husband and I on the Christian faith, current events, apologetics, and more at http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com/ .

Friday, October 3, 2008

Short Ribs



This is a Paula Deen recipe, which means you know it's good! I have made it with short ribs and it was excellent and so tender. Just last week I made it with boneless chuck country style ribs because it was cheaper and you get more meat. It turned out equally tasty and just as tender. When I used the boneless ribs, it reminded me a lot of a pot roast's texture. Very good!

Short Ribs

3 pounds short ribs (Can use 2 1/2 lbs. boneless chuck country style ribs)
House Seasoning, recipe follows
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Oil
2 cloves garlic, chopped, plus 2 more cloves chopped
Water (I used 6 cups)
Beef Broth, plus more for roasting (I used 2 cubes beef bouillon added to the 6 cups of water)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (Or use house seasoning to taste)
1 onion, sliced
White rice, for serving


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Season ribs liberally, or to taste, with House Seasoning. Lightly dust with 2 tablespoons flour.

In a Dutch oven, place a small amount of oil and heat on medium to medium-high. Add the ribs and brown on each side. Add half water and half beef broth to cover ribs, along with 2 chopped garlic cloves.



Bring to a boil on high. Put sliced onion in bottom of a casserole dish and remove the ribs from the Dutch oven and place on top of the onions.



Add the remaining garlic, salt and pepper, and about 1 cup broth to the ribs. Roast ribs for 1 hour covered. Roast for another hour uncovered. Turn ribs occasionally while cooking to brown all sides and to brown onions. Serve over buttered white rice.

House Seasoning:
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Combine all ingredients in a bowl.

Tip:
Instead of discarding the broth that ribs were cooked in over the stove, use it to make a gravy. Let it cool in fridge in a container, and then pour broth into a pot, trying to leave some of the house seasoning in container on the bottom if there's a lot there. If you pour all the seasonings from the bottom of the container into your pot, the gravy can be too salty. Mix in a couple tablespoons of cornstarch, and cook on medium-low until boilling and thickened and desired consistency. Makes a great flavorful gravy and you don't waste the broth. You can serve it with mashed potatoes or salisbury steaks. This makes a lot of gravy, so put some in the freezer for later.



Are you a good person?

http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com/
http://titus2wifeandmommy.blogspot.com/

No comments: