Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by Recipes From The Heart Of Your Home. Don't forget to check out the Christian resources we have linked to on the left of the page. I am a Christian wife and mother, doing my best to take care of my family and be a good steward of the wonderful blessings God has given us. I enjoy cooking for my family and doing it unto God for His glory. I love to cook from scratch when it's affordable and not too time-consuming and I especially love to bake. Lots of family and friends ask for my recipes so I've decided to put them on a blog so they can get them or anyone else who wants them. I think you can make good quality, good tasting food at a fraction of the ready-made price and it doesn't have to break your budget. Please let me know how these recipes turn out. They're our family's favorites. I'll be updating this blog as often as I can. Enjoy and God bless!

Melissa

If you like my blog, subscribe on the left side of the page so you get automatic updates via email. Please check out our other website: A-typical Christianity is a blog by my husband and I on the Christian faith, current events, apologetics, and more at http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com/ .

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Basic Pie Dough - Butter Pie Crust



This was my first ever attempt at making a homemade butter pie crust. It was so easy because it used the food processor and it took no effort at all and it turned out great. Now, I'm not going to get those expensive store-bought crusts anymore. This tastes way better and it really holds up well to a wet fruit filling.

Basic Pie Dough

Makes enough dough for 1 double-crust pie or 2 single-crust pies

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) COLD unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water

Directions

1) In a food processor, combine flour, salt, and sugar; pulse to combine. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal, with just a few pea-size pieces of butter remaining.

2) Sprinkle with 1/4 cup ice water. Pulse until dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed with fingers (if necessary, add up to 1/4 cup more water, 1 tablespoon at a time). To help ensure a flaky crust, do not overprocess.

3) Transfer half of dough (still crumbly) onto a piece of plastic wrap. Form dough into a disk 3/4 inch thick; wrap tightly in plastic. Refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour (and up to 3 days). Repeat with remaining dough. (Disks can be frozen, tightly wrapped, up to 3 months. Thaw before using.) Makes 2 disks.



Tip:
Adding the correct amount of water to pie dough can be tricky, but here's a fail-safe method: Squeeze a small handful of dough - if it holds together, it's just right. (I added too much water the first time I made it and it still turned out great, but I'm sure it would've been even better if I had added the water more slowly.)



When ready to use pie dough:

On a floured piece of parchment paper, roll one disk of dough to a 14-inch round. Wrap dough around rolling pin; unroll over a 9-inch pie plate. Gently fit into bottom and sides of plate (do not stretch dough). Using kitchen shears, trim dough to a 1-inch overhang all around. To make a decorative edge, crimp rim with fingertips and knuckle. Refrigerate until ready to use. Reserve and refrigerate remaining disk of dough for top crust or another single crust pie.

Are you a good person?

http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com/
http://titus2wifeandmommy.blogspot.com/

No comments: