Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by Recipes From The Heart Of Your Home. Don't forget to check out the Christian resources we have linked to on the left of the page. I am a Christian wife and mother, doing my best to take care of my family and be a good steward of the wonderful blessings God has given us. I enjoy cooking for my family and doing it unto God for His glory. I love to cook from scratch when it's affordable and not too time-consuming and I especially love to bake. Lots of family and friends ask for my recipes so I've decided to put them on a blog so they can get them or anyone else who wants them. I think you can make good quality, good tasting food at a fraction of the ready-made price and it doesn't have to break your budget. Please let me know how these recipes turn out. They're our family's favorites. I'll be updating this blog as often as I can. Enjoy and God bless!

Melissa

If you like my blog, subscribe on the left side of the page so you get automatic updates via email. Please check out our other website: A-typical Christianity is a blog by my husband and I on the Christian faith, current events, apologetics, and more at http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com/ .

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Coconut Pecan Spice Cake



I found this recipe several years ago in a church cookbook and just finally got around to making it. The name didn't seem that appealing to me, but the ingredients did. So, I finally made it a week ago and it is probably one of my favorite cakes now because it tastes so good and is really easy to make. I changed the name from Oatmeal Cake to Coconut Pecan Spice Cake because I think that is a better way to describe this recipe. You don't exactly eat it and think "oatmeal" unless you're already familiar with the recipe. This cake is very moist and flavorful and would be great to take to a church potluck.

Coconut Pecan Spice Cake (Oatmeal Cake)

Cake:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup quick oatmeal
1 1/2 cups boiling water

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. salt

2 eggs, beaten

Put butter and oatmeal in mixing bowl and pour boiling water over this and let stand for 20 minutes. While waiting, mix remaining ingredients (except eggs) in a large bowl. After 20 minutes is up, add dry ingredients to the oatmeal mixture and mix in the eggs.

Pour into a 13 X 9 inch greased pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. While baking, prepare the topping.

Topping:
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 beaten egg
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tbs. milk

Mix all ingredients in a bowl and when cake is done, pour and spread on top. Broil in oven until golden brown. Keep an eye on it because it browns quickly and you don't want to burn the pecans.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Just found your blog. This cake looks good but I'll have to try to find a way to make it healthier :) Thanks for sharing.

In Christ,
Joanne