Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by Recipes From The Heart Of Your Home. Don't forget to check out the Christian resources we have linked to on the left of the page. I am a Christian wife and mother, doing my best to take care of my family and be a good steward of the wonderful blessings God has given us. I enjoy cooking for my family and doing it unto God for His glory. I love to cook from scratch when it's affordable and not too time-consuming and I especially love to bake. Lots of family and friends ask for my recipes so I've decided to put them on a blog so they can get them or anyone else who wants them. I think you can make good quality, good tasting food at a fraction of the ready-made price and it doesn't have to break your budget. Please let me know how these recipes turn out. They're our family's favorites. I'll be updating this blog as often as I can. Enjoy and God bless!

Melissa

If you like my blog, subscribe on the left side of the page so you get automatic updates via email. Please check out our other website: A-typical Christianity is a blog by my husband and I on the Christian faith, current events, apologetics, and more at http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com/ .

Monday, August 11, 2008

Fried Tofu



This is probably my favorite way to eat tofu now. It's nice because it doesn't have that mushy texture and it has a nice crispy coating. It tastes a lot like the fried tofu I liked getting at Asian restaurants. Now, you can easily make it at home.

Fried Tofu

16 oz. extra firm tofu

Tofu Mix:
5 tbs. sesame seeds (I got away with using 3.)
4 tbs. corn starch
4 tbs. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. sugar

canola or vegetable oil for frying

Place the drained block of tofu on a plate. Cover the tofu with a folded paper towel the size of the block of tofu. (I just used a clean dishcloth. It was more absorbent.) Then place another fairly heavy object on top. (I used a small cutting board and balanced 3 cans of vegetables on top to make a press.)



After about 5-10 minutes, remove the plate and throw away the wet paper towel. (You don't have to do this if you use the dishcloth.) Drain off the water that has been pressed out of the tofu. Now cover once again with a fresh paper towel and put it back on the plate. Press your tofu this way for 15 minutes.

Place pressed tofu on a cutting board and slice it into 1 inch cubes.

Stir together tofu mix ingredients and place in a pie plate or bowl. Roll the tofu cubes in the mixture until well covered. (You might have to reroll them because the tofu absorbs the coating quickly.) Place the covered tofu cubes on a plate next to the stove where you'll be frying.




Pour 1/2 to 1 cup of oil or other high-heat oil into a small frying pan. You want oil to be about 1 inch deep (If using a larger pan, you may need more oil.) You will also need tongs and a paper towel covered plate.

Place pan over medium-high heat. To test if your oil is hot enough, using tongs, dip a corner of a tofu cube in the oil. If it begins to sizzle and cook, the oil is ready.



Turn heat down to just above medium and fry the tofu. Using tongs, place the tofu cubes in the oil, allowing them to cook 1 minute or so (Mine took longer). Turn the tofu cubes over with your tongs to cook 1 minute on the other side, or until cubes are a light golden brown. When golden brown, remove from the oil and place on paper towels to drain.


This is served with the Asian Brown Sauce and rice.

Tips:
This is best when served hot because the coating stays crispy. Once it's microwaved, it gets soft.

You can also just dip it in the Asian Brown Sauce and it eat it like that.


This is also a healthy and great finger-food for the kids....literally!

Are you a good person?

http://atypicalchristianity.blogspot.com/
http://titus2wifeandmommy.blogspot.com/

No comments: